This is the longest stay for us in Las Cruces. We were going to leave today, but decided to add at least 2 more days. This has been a good stop for mom. She and Darrold are particularly close, and she is staying at his house. Much easier for her to get around - all on one level. Her knee has been acting up since she left Kansas for the reunion in Oregon - Darrold has noticed the difference since he visited mom this last spring at her house.
![]() |
| Mom, Darrold, and Alvina |
On Saturday morning, before visiting Alvina, Rita & I took in the Las Cruces Farmers Market. We had been to the market years earlier in March and it was too early for a good turn out. This one was much better attended by the vendors and the public. Almost immediately we found a booth selling recycled tin cans. Peter, seated, and his son use a very small oxy-acetylene torch to cut designs into used tin cans. The work is all done by hand, and the designs are all freehand. No copying a design from a template, although it sounded like they have a number of basic designs that they work from. They start with a particular shape, cut that into the can so that it is evenly distributed, and then work from there to cut additional designs in the areas between the initial work.
![]() |
| Table of smaller tin can items |
While strolling through the market area, we came across a group of nuns in black habits. At the time I didn't have my camera with me. I was soon wishing I did as I saw one of the younger nuns wearing red high-topped basketball shoes. What a treat! Vowing to get a picture, I returned to the car with Rita's tin-can purchase and some fresh corn-on-the-cob, grabbed the camera and headed back. Hoping the nuns were still there, I spied them, including "red shoes". I quickly snapped a picture to prove my story. Alas, it was too good to be true. Rita had overheard the nuns talking to others about the play "Nunsense", which our Small Group from church in Springfield, OR had gone to see. We now believe this "flock" of nuns was just the cast members from the play, which is now playing in Las Cruces, and had come to the market to have some fun. At one point we saw 3 of them having a sing-a-long with a local performer for a song or two.
It's getting late, and I need to wrap this one up. I hope the pictures come out for all of you. I tried to resize them so you could all see them. There is much more to talk about in Las Cruces - the wonderful frozen custard place just south of our rv park, the trip to Hatch, NM [35 miles north] for burgers on Sunday afternoon, and two of the major crops of this area - pecans & chilies [Hatch is called the chili capitol of the world, or is that the United States?].
So long for now. Hope to post the rest of chapter 4 soon.




No comments:
Post a Comment